Overcoming Grief and Loss


November 13, 2013 Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Life Coaching Articles


life-coaching-articles-nlp-life-coach-directory

Overcoming Grief and Loss 

Grief & loss bring out a range of complex emotions – including disbelief, shock, anger, hatred, guilt, loss of faith, fear of the future, loneliness, regret. Understand the underlying process of these emotions and natural healing techniques to help deal with grief, grief depression, and overcoming grief & loss.

Overcoming grief or grief depression over a loss of a child, family member, serious illness such as cancer, or death of a pet is a difficult process. Whether the departure of a loved one is sudden, or has been anticipated over a period of time, we experience a powerful and complex range of emotions of grief – including disbelief, shock, anger, hatred, guilt, loss of faith, fear of the future, loneliness, regret. Going through this is a normal part of the grieving process and is necessary to reconcile ourselves in some way so that we can move on from the experience to become a better, stronger person with a greater sense of purpose in life as a result.

There is no doubt that time is an important component in reconciling and overcoming grief and loss. Eventually it is important to “Let go and let God” so that we can move on with life. Unfortunately, many feel they cannot do this, that they are unable to let go of the sadness that they are experiencing. The reason for this has to do with the mechanism of the subconscious mind.

The Influence Of The Subconscious Mind
Your mind has two parts, each with separate functions: there is the conscious part, which is 12% of our mind, and the subconscious part, which is the other 88%.

The conscious part is the one we readily identify with. It is our “doing, action state”. It is what we use to perceive the world and to make decisions such as “I like this person!”.

The subconscious mind stores our memory (“the last time I saw this person we had an argument!”), habits and beliefs (“every time I think of this person I feel sad!”), personality and self-image. It also controls our bodily functions – notice you don’t have to consciously think about doing these things.

The subconscious mind retains a primitive mechanism, which records the “experience” of every situation you encounter. This is called “conditioning”. If you either anticipate (think about) or actually experience that same situation again, those previous feelings will be re-experienced emotionally in the same form, either positively or negatively. This mechanism forms part of the way we learn.

Comments